Welcome!

Hello! This is stew's ships. This will be a blog where I kinda post whatever I want about Great Lakes Shipping, shipping history, and shipwrecks. I am from the Lake St. Clair area, so if I decide to get a camera there will be pictures of the shipping and shipwrecks here, but I wouldn't expect that to happen any time soon. It probably won't be until sometime next year that happens, but stay tuned! Today's ship will be the Col. D. D. Gaillard. The Col. Gaillard was a dipper dredge built in 1916, and by the late 90s it was the last of its kind. It was donated to Superior WI historical society, and was to be a museum ship, tied up in a slip on Barker's Island, and become part of the S.S Meteor Maritime museum. However, by 2002, both funds and public interest dwindled, so it was sold to a company and moved to Duluth, for the top to be stripped off and for it to be turned into a barge.However, that plan never went through. As of 2020, its fate is unknown. The only person that I know that has an interest in the Gaillard that is in the area, Mervyn Bergman at mervbergman.net, hasn't been near the area in a while, and says the area was closed to the public in 2010. So, if anyone in the Duluth area knows of its whereabouts/fate, please contact me at bowtiesarecoo06@gmail.com, and I will post an update here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow